Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday video - Modest Mouse

Modest Mouse was one of the bands that I really got into after I graduated and moved from Fayetteville to start my real-world job in Little Rock and growing up and all that.  The band was suggested to me by one of my very best friends who sadly is no longer with us.  However, his musical tastes were spot on and Modest Mouse fit right into the musical sphere I was in at the time, alongside bands such as Pavement, Pixies, and Sleater-Kinney

Interestingly, many of my friends did not share the same musical interest in the Mouse that I did, complaining about the noise-rock aspect and (I'd guess) sometimes dischordant melodies.  Then, lo-and-behold, "Float On" was released in 2004 and all of a sudden, everyone thinks Modest Mouse is the greatest band.  They were and are right, of course, but it certainly can be frustrating for the fan who was on board years earlier, listening to the dual masterpieces of This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About and The Lonesome Crowded West.  OK, then.  Here ends the I'm-a-confused-and-crotchety-old-man rant :)

This clip comes from The Lonesome Crowded West.


Its low-fi and shot from a weird angle, but it is a great song with a utterly hypnotic drum rhythm.  Recorded "in the late 90's" according to the YouTube poster, when Modest Mouse were still underground and writing and recording some of the best rock of the era.

No comments:

Post a Comment